Sunday, January 20, 2013

You Didn't Peak in College (or High School) Unless You Want for It To Be That Way.

"They were the best four years of my life!"

Somebody told me this about high school, some other body later told me this about college, and even later a bunch of people like these two (or more) tried to impress upon me the difference between places like high school and college and the real world. You're out in the real world now, kid: hold onto your memories of the Glory Days, and watch out for piranhas.

Sure, sometimes I miss the trust I had in the world before I hit twenty-one. But I don't miss having a curfew or getting caught (by my brother!) sneaking out of my parents' house! Those certainly weren't the best four years of my life. Not that they weren't great: some of my best friends come from that time in my life.

And shoot, the metabolism of a fifteen-year-old isn't something to scoff at. But I'm going to be running a half marathon in seven weeks, and at twenty-eight I'll be in the best shape of my life to date.

It's nice not to pay bills, but it's more satisfying when you can be self-sufficient.

Really, what they're saying when they say, "they were the best four years of my life!" is "I'd like to go back to being irresponsible and selfish." Because it's true: at few other times in your life (and here I'm just looking at norms) are you
  • un-tethered enough to be totally self-involved (no kids or grandkids, no partner, possibly no full-time job to be on time to, or community to be accountable to)
  • yet old enough to realize how luxurious it is to be so self-involved. But we don't live on luxury.


You only peaked in high school or college if you plan to do nothing more satisfying with your life than be self-involved. But I hear that finding work, a community, or a hobby you love; being independent enough to pay bills; or, if you don't want to pay bills or taxes, being a dumpster diver; even having kids to love unconditionally can be satisfying pursuits. Satisfying in ways different from self-involvement.

So, may my Glory Days be those from now until I expire.

No comments:

Post a Comment