Sunday, November 18, 2012

I would ask...


This is not traditional Turkish behavior; in fact, when I told my students that I liked to dip my Biskrem in my Ayran, they squealed in horror. But it's delicious-- Ayran's just salty enough to offset the chocolate inside the cookie, but you've got to go one step further: open the packet of cookies a few hours or the night before you plan to eat them. When you first open the Biskrem, they're just a little too crunchy, but after a few hours they've somehow managed to soften up. Now they're right for dipping into your yoghurt drink.

Further evidence of my living alone.

From which comes my plea: the holidays are upcoming, and a lot of people have asked if I need a care package or what I'd like for Christmas, and I'll say, just pictures. Pictures that I can hold, please. Pictures of you, your children, your children-to-be, your home, my homes: I'll take them all, and gladly. Here in Bolu, I have all those material things that a creature needs-- and I'm even going to go get a tea cooker today! But for some (insane) reason, I didn't bring any analog pictures of the people and places I love, and I'm getting a little desperate for more consistent reminders of you all.

This Thanksgiving, you are what I am grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment