Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Karma Mama, or Things That Happen When You Live Alone


I've been thinking that I've been a very good girl lately (various reasons, most of which have to do with work, some of which have to do with that upcoming 15km), and the proof is right here: I receive a delightful card in the mail from none other than Portland, Oregon!

I took a picture of the address so that you can have it-- the only slightly unclear word being "Merkez" between the "Bolu"s.


I'll tell you some other things.

I am becoming convinced either that this place is making me grow a lady 'stache or that my bathroom lighting is really, really weird.


Also, I have been managing my speaking clubs and signing up new students. Yesterday, I had met the limit on one when this desperate-looking young man came barreling into my office to ask if he could get into the speaking club I'd just closed. I told him it was impossible and that he'd have to sign up for another.

His shoulders slumped momentarily, but he pushed forward and said, "Teacher, this girl," now pointing at a specific name on the club list, "she is very beautiful." I must be in this club with her.

We argued about it for another two minutes before I gave in and let him sign up. Those two minutes were a front: I have totally let an extra student into my speaking session because he has a crush on this girl. I couldn't help myself.



And Claire moved out (she's gone to live with Turkish-speaking women now, which has been her hope all along.). So I got a radio, and I'm thinking about getting some house plants. Taking a run is a much more attractive prospect now.



When you live alone, weird things happen. You start to leave doors open in your house that you normally wouldn't. You listen to the radio in hopes of another, real-time, human voice. You make a lot of breakfast for dinner. And you do things you'd otherwise scold your boyfriend for doing. Sorry, Erich.

I'm actually not lonely (famous last words, Salvador...), but I am feeling more empathetic.

When you live alone, you understand why one of your students must be in a particular speaking club. It's that girl! It's that deep-seated need for human connection.

And maybe you begin to imagine hair on your lip where there wasn't two months ago.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, yes, breakfast for dinner. I, too, am exploring the new world of living alone this fall. Onward toward the buried treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse, thanks for being such an optimist! I spend a lot of time reading (right now, China Mieville's "King Rat" and last week, E.L. Koenigsburg's "The Second Mrs. Giaconda") and listening to Turkish radio. These things fill the space better than I can.

      Delete
  2. I feel so ashamed I have not written sooner. I have been buried in so much lately. I unburied your card today at the computer. I remember how excited I was the day I got it and how I was going to write back soon but as you know I didn't. Best intentions though. I miss having you at WWCC so much, you were such a joy and spirit. Our students loved you, they miss you and the ones that never got to experience your teaching well they should be sorry. We are having a luncheon for those scholarship recipients on Wendsday that you helped select so rejoice on that day because I am sure we will think of you as I read off the committee members names. Stay well and enjoy life. I will write again just no promises as to when. In Friendship Sue Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue! It's so lovely to hear from you. Please have no worries; I try to send letters in the expectation that they'll reach home and create a smile, nothing more. Thank you for letting me know about the scholarship recipients-- I was truly lucky to be part of that process! Missing the office, Jessica.

      Delete