Sunday, September 2, 2012

Izzet Baysal, More Bolu Impressions

The view from my balcony.
Look closely to see the beginning of a path.


The path is bordered by lampposts and lit in the evenings. I think it's nicest in the morning and afternoon when sunlight finds its way through the leaves.











It's maybe a fifteen-minute walk down to Izzet Baysal's tomb, which overlooks part of A.I.B.U campus. These buildings are the medicine and [politics?] departments. I'll be working a half-hour's walk to the right.



Izzet Baysal is dear to the hearts of Bolu's citizens, and many consider him to be "The Father of Bolu". However, I am told he is also important to the rest of Turkey, as he is unique in being such an active architect (and public servant) as well as a generous philanthropist. I am linking here a video from the university's website; however, the English version (narrated, incidentally, by my contact Abdullah Coskun) is currently unavailable. I'll refresh this as soon as it becomes accessible.







And on the way back to my room and my balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment