Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I Drank the Water

Dear Home,

Before the wedding party Saturday night we visited Abdullah's parents' home for dinner. His father was away at another wedding party, so we shared a meal just with Abdullah, Yasin, and Sevim, their mother. She is an amazing cook (having won several local cooking competitions) and seems to be a really friendly and understanding person. I think all three of us were immediately impressed by her.

Photograph Courtesy of Stephanie Ruiz
As dinner was finishing, we came once again to the topic of Kokez water, and I laughed about how I was never going to drink any. So brandishing the pitcher out of which I'd earlier poured my water, Abdullah said, "I think this was Kokez water. I think you drank some!"

I panicked. I didn't let anyone see, but I panicked.

I already like Turkey more than I ever imagined or intended. Marmara University has a theology program. I am learning new things every day and am challenged in ways that I certainly wouldn't be at home or in my native tongue.

I'm hoping this feeling will wear off in about a month or two. I'm not sure that I could live long-term in a place with such persistent bureaucracy and hierarchy. My housing isn't perfectly solidified. And floss and Q-Tips are quite expensive here.


Photograph Courtesy of Stephanie Ruiz
But Saturday night-- the dinner, the wedding party-- rather took me out of myself. It was quite beautiful.
Love,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment